Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: HeathKit AS101's in the house!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2016
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    HeathKit AS101's in the house!

    So after playing around with my 511b horns and 908 drivers using my Klipsh Heresy's as the low end I knew I wanted the real deal. Yea, I know, that wasn't a great combination but it's what I had on hand. LOL
    So I worked out a deal with a fellow on BarterTown (AK forum). Traded a spare tube amp and some cash for a set of HeathKit AS101 speakers. Pretty much Valencia copy's. Wow, what a difference from the Heresy's, bigger sound, REAL BASS and super smooooooth. I always kind of knew that the tweeter horn in the Heresy wasn't really integrated well into that speaker but I loved the sound of the mid range horn. My Mac MC40 monoblocks drive them with authority, these are the best speakers I've had on those amps.
    The fellow has already recapped one speaker with Solen and Jantzen caps and gave me the parts to do the other one.
    But right now I'm just enjoying them, I'll tear into them later. I'll be back later with questions about driver upgrades. I do have a set of 908 drivers and some brand new aluminum diaphragms from GPA sitting here. Can these get even better?

    BillWojo
    Last edited by BillWojo; August 5th, 2016 at 11:25 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: HeathKit AS101's in the house!

    Congrats on the new pair of speakers! I use Jantzen caps with my A7's and they sound pretty good. I bet there is a big difference between the speaker with old and the one with the new caps huh?

    If the diaphragms are not original and have been replaced with chinese phragms you will notice a big improvement switching over to the GPA phragms. If they are original I would probably just leave them.

    I would stick with the stock 806 HF drivers and not put the ferrite drivers in. I am an AlNiCo driver fan though

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: HeathKit AS101's in the house!

    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: HeathKit AS101's in the house!

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    Be sure to ignore my posts in this thread, they are not accurate, and should be deleted. At the time(early 09), i had never had a 908 in the flesh, and i was still drinking the internet koolaid thinking that the parrots must be truthful. You know, 1 inch throat, best midrange of a small format driver, and all that jazz.

    Today, i have the luxury of first hand experience. I've toyed and flipped my way thru several sets and singles of 900 series driver, and spent easily a couple hundred hours listening and measuring both in my spaces and my good friend's drum studio(very anechoic and soundproof). What i have heard, and seen seems to support exactly how Altec applied the 900 series driver. Altec did not cross them below 1200hz, and for good reasons. They make great tweeters.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2016
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: HeathKit AS101's in the house!

    My 908's have 7/8 exits. I can machine transition adapters to smooth the flow from drivers to horns. That's not going to be an issue.

    BillWojo

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2016
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: HeathKit AS101's in the house!

    If I update the 908 drivers with the new diaphragms (aluminum), remove the plastic loading caps and add the rear covers with felts, make the 7/8 to 1" adapters and cross at 1200Hz, would I notice an improvement? Or is it so small as not to be worth the bother?
    I already have the diaphragms, rear aluminum caps and felts. Need to make adapters and figure out a crossover.

    BillWojo

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.